Lawrence H. Gennari, a finance and transactional lawyer for more than two decades, values his role in facilitating key relationships and strategic opportunities for his clients. Larry’s clients, whether they are public companies, venture-backed or angel-financed private companies, entrepreneurs, investors or board members, look to him as one of their most trusted business advisors.
With a well-established reputation for strategic advice on both mergers and acquisitions, as well as financing strategies for growth companies, Larry’s practice focuses on corporate and securities law for rapidly growing private and public companies and their supporting executives, directors, investors and advisors. His work includes countless mergers and acquisitions, private offerings, venture capital financings, joint ventures, and public offerings as well as SEC compliance for public companies and their directors and officers.
Larry, a former partner at Choate, Hall & Stewart in Boston, also teaches at Boston College Law School, where, as an Adjunct Professor, he has taught courses on Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate Finance and Advising Entrepreneurs for more than fifteen years. Larry frequently comments and contributes on corporate finance, venture capital and entrepreneurial topics in publications and as a guest speaker at industry events and seminars.
Larry earned a J.D. from the College of William and Mary, where he ranked third in his class and served as editor-in-chief of the William & Mary Law Review, as well as a B.S. (Accounting), summa cum laude, from North Adams State College, where he was the Massachusetts Society of CPA’s outstanding student.
Larry carries a Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rating and has been named a New England Super Lawyer for both mergers & acquisitions and securities and corporate finance since the inception of the publication. In a recent New England Super Lawyers edition, Larry was ranked in the New England Top 100 Lawyers category.
Larry Gennari has been involved in numerous M&A transactions in industries ranging from software and telecommunications to consumer and digital media. In addition, he has established expertise in complex financings ranging from early stage angel investor rounds to public offerings in industries ranging from technology to consumer-facing retail. Larry Gennari also serves as general outside counsel to private and public companies on day-to-day matters, including licensing transactions, distribution agreements, joint ventures, employment agreements and general contracts, and business and financing strategy. Larry’s work with individual executives involves employment and non-competition agreements and equity and compensation strategy and planning.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acquisitions totaling more than $100 million in transaction value for publicly held retail chain, including public company merger and purchase of 50 store Canadian retail chain
- $62 million sale of west coast operations of private equity backed rural telecommunications company to public company
- $101 million sale of business segment of telecommunications company to publicly held buyer
- Sale of privately held online rental company to TripAdvisor
- Sale of privately held security software company to The Boeing Corporation
- Sale of digital media and online publishing company to RR Donnelly & Sons
- Sale of high school sports media company to ESPN
- Merger of well-established public accounting firm with larger international accounting firm
- Acquisition of learning management software company for private equity backed healthcare software company
- $3.5 million angel-financing round for Vermont-based artisanal cheese manufacturer
- $2 million plus angel-financing round for online sales and marketing platform
- $4 million plus angel-strategic partner financing round for online collectibles company
- $5 million in angel-financing rounds for life-safety sensor technology company
- $35 million in initial and follow-on venture capital rounds for enterprise software company
- $11 million PIPE financing and various SEC compliance matters for publicly held semiconductor equipment manufacturer
- $40 million in total public offerings and warrant redemption for Minnesota-based national retail company
- $50 million plus syndicated credit agreement for private-equity backed telecommunications company
Professional & Community Involvement
Larry serves on the Board of Directors of American Student Assistance as well as the Vincent Memorial Hospital Board of Trustees at Massachusetts General Hospital. Larry is also on the Advisory Board of the University of Massachusetts (Boston) College of Management and is a former member of the Advisory Council for the Program in Education, Afterschool and Resiliency at Harvard University’s Graduate School of Education.
Larry is a prominent speaker on entrepreneurial finance, corporate governance and corporate compliance matters.
"Stop, Listen and Get Creative to Gain Angel Financing," Mass High Tech, February 3, 2011
"Financial reform would add roadblocks to Mass. job creation," Mass High Tech, May 12, 2010
"Positioning for an exit: Five must-do's before year-end," Mass High Tech, December 2, 2009
"Innovative Finance Strategies for Startups," Mass High Tech, July 17, 2009
"Rx for the Mass. Tech Economy: An Ounce of Prevention," Op-ed, Mass High Tech, October 3, 2008.
"Innovation Needed to Fund Our Technology Economy," Op-ed, Boston Sunday Globe, May 27, 2007.
"Growth by Buying: 5 Rules for Purchasing a Competitor," co-author, Mass High Tech, May 15, 2006.
"Executive Pay and Perks - Compensation Committees on the Hot Seat in 2006," guest commentary, Mass High Tech, January 30, 2006.
"Breathing New Life Into Underwater Stock Options," Mass High Tech, June 13, 2005.
"Using Intellectual Property Counsel to Advance Financing Strategy," Mass High Tech, April 25, 2005.
"Rebuilding State's Tech Economy," Op-ed, The Boston Globe, April 19, 2005.
"Calling all Angels," Mass High Tech, November 2004.
"Sarbanes-Oxley - Applying Regulation as Exit-strategy," author, Mass High Tech, August 2004.
"New at the Game? Financing Tips for First-time Entrepreneurs," Boston Business Journal, April 2004.
"So you want to be a Director? Prepare to Commit," Mass High Tech, March 2004.
"Touched by an Angel: Tapping a Top Source of Capital," Mass High Tech, January 2004.
"Earnouts may Help Bridge the Gap between Buyers and Sellers," Boston Business Journal, January 2004.
"Turning a Recovery into a Boost for Business," Boston Business Journal, November 2003.
"Driving a Convertible: Setting a Course for Debt Financing in Challenging Times," Mass High Tech, September 2003.
"Financing Options for Business in Uncertain Times," Mass High Tech, June 2003.
"Let's Take this Offline: Sarbanes-Oxley and 'Going Private,'" Mass High Tech, March 2003.
"Startups Seeking Capital Must go Back to Basics," Mass High Tech, June 2003.
"Compilations: Starting Up and Advising an Emerging Massachusetts Business," editor, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2001.
"Fundamentals of Corporate Finance and Capital Markets," Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, June 1998.
"Raising Capital: Advising Small Businesses," Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, March 1998.